About Steve Bush
Learn more about Steve and his path to become the next Sheriff in Floyd County, Indiana
Graduate of Indiana State University
30+ Years of Law Enforcement Service
Merit Rank of Police Captain
3-Term County Commissioner
Sagamore Award Winner
Steve and his wife Danna have been married for 29 years raising two children together, Christian and Ashley, both of whom are now adults. He and his family are members of Northside Christian Church. He has been involved in 4-H and Floyd Central Marching Band; volunteering much of his time to help make those programs a success. He is also an active member of the running community, assisting track and cross-country teams at both the middle and high school level, helping many student athletes achieve their goals. This is because he is a servant leader in every aspect of his life. Steve is proud to call Floyd County his home.
- Graduate of Jeffersonville Senior High School (1986)
- Bachelor’s degree in criminology from Indiana State University (1990)
- Graduate of Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (1991)
- 30 years of various law enforcement training courses amassing 1000’s of hours.
- Serving the City of New Albany as a Police Officer since 1991 (31 years of service)
- Promoted through an equitable promotion process to the ranks of Corporal, Sergeant and my current rank of Captain.
- I have been appointed to positions within the Patrol Division, served as a Detective, commander over criminal investigations division, and a Major as part of a former Administration.
- As a Detective I led many criminal investigations including some of the most egregious cases our community has faced.
- As Major I led the Patrol Division. I established successful programs and a proactive policing unit that is still in existence. That program targets problem individuals in the community that commit most of the crimes we deal with.
- I have commanded patrol shifts, coordinated the bike patrol unit and served as a Field Training Officer.
- I served on the Floyd County Sheriff’s Department/New Albany Police Metro SWAT Team and I am a certified police instructor.
- In 2002 I was elected to the Georgetown Township Advisory Board, my first elected position.
- In 2004 I was elected to serve my first term as one of your Floyd County Commissioners. I was re-elected to that position in 2008 and 2012. During those 12 years I served as President of the Commissioners for 6 years, appointed as President by my peers.
- At the end of 2016, serving my last term as commissioner, I was awarded the Sagamore Award by then Indiana Governor Mike Pence. It was an honor to receive this award for serving the community that I hold dear to my heart.